Minecraft Manhunt is a YouTube series popularised by Dream. The concept revolves around a speedrunner who attempts to defeat the Ender Dragon ("beat the game"), while one or more hunters try to kill the speedrunner first. The series has acquired millions of views and are some of Dream's most popular videos, with Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters GRAND FINALE as the most popular and viewed video on his whole channel, achieving over 64 million views.
Most people don't actually know this, but Dream was not the first person to ever do Minecraft Manhunt. The first person to ever do Minecraft Manhunt, was Wilbur Soot. Wilbur Soot was the first person to ever call his challenge, Minecraft Manhunt. Now his version of Minecraft Manhunt was a little different from Dream's. Instead of having all of his friends beat him until he defeats the Ender Dragon, every 3 minutes a random subscriber of his twitch becomes a hunter. Unfortunately, Wilbur Soot wasn't as lucky, after 13 minutes of gathering resources such as Iron Armor and weapons, he was killed by "Mister_Obvious" with an Iron Pickaxe. The video of his Minecraft Manhunt is here.
A manhunt typically involves the speedrunner attempting to carry out the following tasks:
- Acquire supplies (tools, armor/shield, food, etc.).
- Create a Nether portal (either by fixing a ruined portal or locating a lava pool) to travel to the Nether.
- Locate a Nether fortress and kill Blaze for blaze rods.
- Acquire eyes of ender (either through piglin trading, villager trading, or killing endermen for ender pearls).
- Locate the stronghold to travel to the End.
- Kill the Ender Dragon.
The sole objective of the hunter or hunters is to cause the death of the speedrunner - if the speedrunner dies at any point prior to killing the Ender Dragon (either from dying in combat, dying to a trap, or an accidental death) - it is considered a defeat and the manhunt ends. Common tactics of the hunters are to set up traps for the speedrunner (usually at the nether portal or stronghold), or better equip themselves while the speedrunner is collecting resources (e.g. enchanted armor, potions). The speedrunner does not necessarily have to kill the hunters at any point, though this often happens anyway, as doing so will usually give the speedrunner a significant advantage.
Dream has stated that Manhunt has a few rules to keep the game entertaining and fair to all players. Some rules which have been confirmed are:
- The speedrunner has a 20 minute "grace period", so as to ensure the video will be to a reasonable degree of quality and entertainment. If the hunters kill the speedrunner too early on, they restart and do another attempt. Dream has released footage of a failed Manhunt run to his Twitter, which has since been uploaded to YouTube.
- In a recent stream, Dream clarified on this rule saying they don't use a "grace period" anymore. To make it entertaining, if a hunter kills him early on, they get a monetary prize and they just restart. This allows the beginning of the videos to be more interesting
- Using the Nether to travel long distances is not allowed.
- Trapping or breaking Nether portals is not allowed.
- Victory for the speedrunner is achieved upon killing the Ender Dragon. If the speedrunner kills the dragon and dies before exiting through the end portal, it is still considered a win for the speedrunner.
- Dream stated on a live stream that they usually ban certain Minecraft Manhunt plays Dream does to make it more creative. He also did this in Death Swap, where he banned the Nether to prevent lava pool traps. 
There are several different variations of Minecraft Manhunt:
- Slayer/Hunter: The default version, in which the hunter(s) receive a compass which points to the location of the speedrunner. If the speedrunner is in a different dimension such as the Nether, the overworld compass points to the portal through which they travelled. In early versions of Manhunt, the compass did not work at all in other dimensions - this has since been fixed.
- Detective: The speedrunner leaves an everlasting particle trail (redstone dust) behind them. It has proven to be the worst ability, as the hunter can easily be deceived by the speedrunner retracing their steps.
- Juggernaut: The hunter spawns with full, enchanted diamond armor and has an enchanted diamond sword. The hunter also retains their inventory upon death.
- Assassin: The hunter has the ability to one-shot the speedrunner through a melee attack. This does not work via projectiles such as arrows. Their weakness is that they can be frozen if the speedrunner is looking at them, leaving them unable to attack and vulnerable to damage/death in various ways.
- Terminator: The hunter is a bot with infinite health, blocks, unbreakable gear and the Baritone mod (which finds the ideal route to a destination).
- Mutant: The hunter receives the default tracking compass, and is also able to hear the same in-game sounds that the speedrunner hears, in real-time.
- Mob control: The hunter uses spectator mode, and has the ability to control mobs - such as making passive mobs run away, and hostile mobs attack the player.
- World control: The hunter uses spectator mode and has the ability to control the world - clear out blocks, adjust gravity, control mobs, etc.
- Survivalist/Hitmen: The survivalist is restricted to a small section of the world, and permanently has the Glowing status effect. They only have to survive for 1 hour rather than attempting to beat the game. The hitmen are equipped with the default tracking compass.
|1||Minecraft Speedrunner Vs Detective...||February 21, 2020||25:33|
|2||Minecraft Speed Runner Vs. Assassin...||April 10, 2020||23:35|
|3||Minecraft Speed Runner Vs Mutant...||June 3, 2020||36:13|
|4||Minecraft Speed Runner Vs Nether Hunter||August 7, 2020||25:58|
- The title of the first two manhunt videos (Dream vs GeorgeNotFound) were originally "Beating Minecraft, But My Friend Tries To Stop Me..." and "Minecraft Speedrunner VS Someone Trying To Stop Them". These were changed in early 2021 to fit with the titles of the later manhunts.
- Dream has only been the hunter in six manhunts. In two manhunt matchups he was the speedrunner in one match and the hunter in the other.
- Antfrost is the only regular participant to not have been a solo hunter against Dream.
- Minecraft Speedrunner VS 2 Hunters was the only manhunt which did not have a rematch.
- Minecraft Speedrunner VS 2 Hunters is the first manhunt video in which Dream wins in his first try against an additional hunter. In his other first manhunt videos against one, three, or four hunters the first time, Dream lost.
- An unedited version of Minecraft Speedrunner VS 4 Hunters FINALE was released by Dream on his second channel, which runs for three hours.
- A second "manhunt" took place at the end of the 4 hunters finale, in which BadBoyHalo was the speedrunner and Dream, GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap and Antfrost were the hunters. The manhunt only lasted a few minutes, and BadBoyHalo died by drowning before he even managed to collect any items.
- Minecraft Speedrunner VS Hunter LIVE is the first Manhunt that was live streamed.
|Video||Speedrunner(s)||Hunter(s)||Result||Speedrunner cause of death|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Hunter (FIRST EVER)||Dream||GeorgeNotFound||Killed by hunter||George killed Dream in a duel after both players took a large amount of fall damage.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Hunter (SECOND EVER)||Dream||GeorgeNotFound||Victory||Dream killed the Dragon while George (who had nothing) tried to stop him.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Assassin||Dream||GeorgeNotFound||Killed by hunter||George ambushed and killed Dream by hiding behind a tree.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Hunter||GeorgeNotFound||Dream||Killed by hunter||Dream knocked George into the Void after Dream died and respawned in the stronghold.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Slayer||Dream||BadBoyHalo||Accidental death||Dream died from fall damage after being knocked into the air by the Ender Dragon.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Assassin ft. Notch||Notch, assisted by GeorgeNotFound||Dream||Killed by hunter||Dream ambushed and killed Notch once George had left through a Nether portal.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Assassin (Again)||Dream||GeorgeNotFound||Killed by hunter||George killed Dream using an ender pearl to teleport within attacking distance.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Full Diamond Juggernaut||Dream||Sapna.||Killed by hunter||Sapnap killed Dream after exiting the Nether by trapping him in a cave.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Hunter (Again)||Dream||GeorgeNotFound||Apparent victory||George killed Dream seconds after Dream killed the Ender Dragon.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 2 Hunters||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap||Victory||After George killed Sapnap for fun, Dream caught Sapnap's Ender Pearls, pearled to George, killed him, then killed the Dragon.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS Hunter LIVE||Dream; GeorgeNotFound||GeorgeNotFound; Dream||Accidental death; killed by hunter||Dream died from fall damage after jumping into a ravine; Dream killed George in a duel.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo||Killed by trap||Dream died from lava placed at the End spawn by BadBoyHalo.|
|3 Minecraft Speedrunners VS Hunter ft. MrBeast||MrBeast, Karl Jacobs, Chandler Hallow||Dream||Killed by hunter||Dream killed all three speedrunners individually.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner vs 3 Hunters REMATCH||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo||Victory||Dream shot the Dragon only a second before Sapnap killed Dream with Strength II.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters FINALE||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo||Killed by hunter||Dream killed George and Sapnap but was left on half a heart, and BadBoyHalo killed Dream with a single punch.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS PRO||Illumina; Dream||Dream; Illumina||Killed by hunter, accidental death||Dream killed Illumina in a duel; Dream drowned while fighting illumina and evading a drowned with a trident.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters FINALE REMATCH||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo||Victory||After Dream killed Sapnap and George, he pearled behind Bad, killed him (with only iron boots) then killed the dragon.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters GRAND FINALE||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo||Victory||Dream killed the Dragon after all three hunters died to TNT sent through the End Portal.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 4 Hunters||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo,
|Killed by hunter||Sapnap killed Dream while Dream was placing and lighting TNT to try and kill the Ender Dragon. The Ender Dragon did die to Dream shortly after, but as Dream was killed first, it was still considered a defeat.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 4 Hunters REMATCH||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo,
|Victory||Dream buried into the End Stone then dug to the center portal, killing the Dragon while the Hunters were distracted.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 4 Hunters FINALE||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo,
|Victory||After Dream killed all the hunters with enchanted diamond armor from killing George earlier, he killed the Dragon.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner VS 4 Hunters FINALE REMATCH||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo,
|Killed by hunter||Antfrost killed Dream using Splash Potions of Harming II.|
|Minecraft Speedrunner vs 4 Hunters GRAND FINALE||Dream||GeorgeNotFound, Sapnap, BadBoyHalo,
|Victory||After he killed all four hunters with multiple crossbows loaded with fireworks, he entered the end then killed the Dragon.|
|Minecraft Speed Runner Vs Mutant...||GeorgeNotFound||Dream||Killed by hunter||Dream killed George while George was gathering food.|
|Minecraft Speed Runner Vs Nether Hunter||GeorgeNotFound||Dream||Accidental death||George was killed by a wither skeleton while trying to evade Dream.|